Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Zach Lowe Summer 2015 Series: A Former Diehard


Zach Lowe is definitely a basketball writer.  But this article taught me that he was a true diehard fan.  Its interesting that his father, a Red Sox fan, actually allowed him to adopt the Mets.  All of the little nuances of this articles are extremely in depth.  I loved it when he talked about how he knew the Mets better than other humans, because I feel that I have definitely gone through the same phases in my life.

He explained how painful it was to watch this extraordinary Mets team, and not have any knowledge of the players and or how the team came to be.  He provides some hindsight advice that we should try to somehow follow our favorite teams because life will happen, and you will lose some touch.

He made a mistake when he spoke about Armando Benitez along with the 96’-98’ teams and corrected it with an annotation explaining that he joined the team in the summer of 99’.  I believe that is an effective way to correct a minor reference.  Other than that the column was brilliant and I obviously don’t think that at all was a detriment.

One thing that really connected with me as well was the deal that he made with his Royals buddy.  It really sort of shows how fast things change.  It wasn’t impossible that the two teams could meet in the World Series, and it may have taken 15 years but it happened.  I hope that the two are still in touch and I suppose if there was one mention in the story that could have been further explained that would be the point I choose.


Overall Zach Lowe used his platform to essentially apologize for falling out of touch with his team, which I’m sure if we haven’t all done we will in the future.  It just happens, but I think he shouldn’t be so hard on himself.  It doesn’t appear that he has been waisting his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment